In my previous years here at LSU, I was very much upset with
the way the Film and Television students were being treated in the department.
It seemed as though we were not being given the same opportunities to develop
our craft as those members of the department that were not in the Film/TV
concentration. As you can probably imagine, it was very frustrating to watch
several other students grow and develop and produce art in their medium of
choice while the rest of us were being strung along and dragged in directions
that weren't really the paths we had hoped to take. I was so frustrated that I
had seriously considered switching out the department, or taking some other
kind of action to pull myself out of the debilitating stasis that I was
currently in. After a long conversation with my mother and father, we decided
together that my best option was to graduate early from college and find other
places and other ways where I could develop my craft and get more practical
education in filmmaking. I was upset that in my three years of college, I would
not be prepared to enter the real world doing what I loved to do. In the fall
semester of my final year, a synchronous situation occurred. A new member of
the faculty was brought on board within the department, and his job was to be a
representative of the film and television students in the department. This was
a beautiful moment for me, because after getting to know Josh, I came to
realize that he was exactly what was needed not only for myself as an
individual, but also for the entire concentration of film students in the
department of theatre. Because of the things Josh was able to teach me, and the
practical application of his lessons I feel exponentially more prepared to
enter the world of film when I’m out on my own. I now know that will be able to
hold my own in terms of creative discussion and in collaborating with other
artists. This new addition to the faculty was Synchronous for me because otherwise,
I would have left the department a year early with about as much film knowledge
leaving as I had when I arrived. I now feel so much more comfortable leaving
the department then I ever could have before, and it is somewhat haunting to me
that if Josh had arrived at LSU just one year later, I would not have him as a
positive influence in both my professional and personal life.
No comments:
Post a Comment